Sunday, October 4, 2009

Joining :) ...by Emily

Hey, this is Emily :) Hope you guys don't mind if I join your blog! I'm excited to start sharing my SayGoBeDo's and, of course, ALWAYS following them ;) (Well, okay--trying to always follow them!)

My first SGBD is to ask Kathy if I could join this blog...reading it has inspired me a lot and I felt impressed that I should share my own SGBD's too.

Another SGBD that I have been really dying to share is one that happened about a week ago. I was in the store with my mom and sister, looking for a birthday present for my brother. It's a church bookstore that sells books, music, art, etc. that has to do with our church. (My brother is going on a mission for our church soon so I wanted to get him something he could use on his mission.) I was browsing around the books when one caught my eye. I took it off the shelf and looked at it. I felt strongly that I should read it--in fact, so strongly that I was moved to tears. I was already buying my brother something that was a little expensive for me at the time, though, so I put the book back on the shelf, vowing that I would get it sometime or another and read it.

As my mom and sister were browsing through the store, though, I kept thinking about the book. I really wanted it. So I came up with a solution. I told my mom that I wanted it for Christmas. And she smiled and was all happy that I wanted a church book for Christmas, of course, and I figured my work was done.

I couldn't stop thinking about it, though. And I knew that both my mom and I would probably forget about the book by the time Christmas came around. I couldn't shake the feeling that if I didn't buy it now, I would probably never get another chance to read it.

So I bought it, spending almost my last dollar on both it and my gift for my brother. Oh well, I thought, now I have no money. Hooray. But at least I acted on my SGBD.

Time passed and, surprisingly, even though I had spent what I had felt was a lot of money on the book, I didn't find time to read any of it over the next few days. Finally I got another SGBD that I should pick it up and read it.

Immediately I realized exactly why I had been impressed to buy the book. It has everything to do with my mission and the author seems to be on exactly the same page as I am. It is an inspired book and although I haven't finished reading it, I already know it is one of the best books I will ever read. I am so glad I followed that SGBD!

Even my sacrifice of the money, I think, was rewarded. Soon after I bought the book and figured I would just have to go without much money for a while (a tragedy, I know, that I can't buy ice cream on a whim!), I was paid rather a lot of money for house sitting for friends, which I'd forgotten about in the bookstore. I was repaid several times over, which made my little sacrifice seem like nothing!

Thanks for letting me join your blog, and sorry my first post was so darn long (I doubt they'll be nearly so long in the future! :P)

1 comment:

  1. No fair not sharing the name of the book :) I'm glad you joined us!

    ReplyDelete