Saturday, October 17, 2009

New Neighbors

A few weeks ago, the family living across the street from me moved out. For a period of time, their old house was empty, starting a couple of days ago, we started seeing people go in and including carpet people and service men. Upon arriving home from a rolfing session with my grandfather, I saw that there was a Uhaul truck in the driveway and people carrying things into the house. Right away I had a prompting to go over and ask if they needed help. Being a quiet and somewhat reserved person, this was out of my comfort zone. I wanted to help, but I was afraid of going over there and asking (pretty silly isn't it?). But I decided I wouldn't let myself think about how it would be uncomfortable so I almost ran inside to my room, changed my shoes and emptied my pockets, and then hurried over across the street. I nearly chickened out but I forced myself to follw through and approached someone working over there, introduced myself, and asked if they could use some help. They said yes and I spent about the next three hours working with them. During which time I was able to find out where they were moving from and to tell them about my family. They thanked me for my work and wanted to pay me when I had to go. I am very glad that I followed through with my SayGoBeDo moment. It started a good relationship with my new nieghbors and brought me out of my comfort zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment